Family and Consumer Sciences
Relationship Tip of the Month
Here are some tips to promote a healthy relationship:
- Always be respectful to each other, even in conflict.
- Regularly show appreciation to each other for both large and small things.
- Get to know each other better by gently asking questions, but not relentlessly probing.
- Be willing to disclose information about yourself - feelings, hopes, dreams...
- Always be ready to listen without interruption.
- Slow down conflict by taking a pause and thinking about what is happening.
- Always look for ways to build shared meanings between the two of you - activities, friends, family, hobbies..
Food Preservation Update
There are new Ball Jar lids and jars that will be available here soon. Our specialist Karen Blasklee provided us with some great information. Attached is some PDF's that she sent along and two websites for beginners or to replace parts. Please read all the information to become familiar with the updates.
- Information on new lids that will be arriving in stores starting in May. These new lids will eventually replace all canning lids for Ball, Kerr and Bernardin (Canada). Please note, the lids do not need to be heated. This has been the case for a few years now. Simply wash them prior to use. In fact, heating them up before putting them on jars could lead to seal failures.
- Information on new jars for 2017. Please note that a couple of these new jars are storage ONLY!
- Ball also has a Home Preserving Starter Kit that is good for beginners. See http://www.freshpreserving.com/ball-home-preserving-starter-kit-1036645.html#start=1
- For the FreshTech appliances, there are replacement parts available at http://www.freshpreserving.com/replacement-parts/
Keys to Embracing Aging Program
Aging in an inevitable and unavoidable process that affects each and every one uniquely. Aging brings on many changes as a person develops throughout the lifespan. The way in which you take care of yourself through the years both physically and mentally will impact the way in which you age. Many of our lifestyle behaviors and choices are integrated, thus there is a strong association between healthy lifestyles, prevention and longevity.
Participate in one of our programs on February 23rd at 7 pm or on March 9th at 1 pm in the basement of the Courthouse, to learn more on how to age more gracefully!
Support National Family and Consumer Sciences Day by Dining In for Healthier Families on December 3rd! Commit here! bit.ly/FCSday16
Dining In as a family helps save you money, lower obesity rates, increases healthy food consumption and improves family relationships.
Don't forget to post a picture of your family Dining In using the hashtags #fcsday & #healthyfamselfie
The Family and Consumer Sciences department wants to start a monthly Family Board Game Night. In order to start this right away in 2017, we need board games donated to our Extension Office.
If you have a board game that you never play anymore and would like to free up some space please bring it to the Extension Office! We are wanting board games for all ages!
K-State Research and Extension is a leader in providing research-based information and education for creating strong, healthy Kansas communities. We strive to improve family relationships, develop consumer and financial management skills and help Kansans balance the demands of work, family, and community. Through our programs, classes, publications, newsletters, columns, and much more, our agents provide you Knowledge for Life.
We are a resource for information on foods and nutrition, healthy lifestyles, family budgeting, and much much more.